Content creation has become the latest buzzword among creatives. Many still-photographers, therefore, are adding Videography to their skillsets and product offerings. In this course, we teach you to use your mirrorless or DSLR camera to shoot video and introduce you to video editing and workflow.
What is video?
Telling stories through video.
How to shoot video on your camera: from setup to advanced settings.
Learning about specialist video gear.
Planning for and building your kit to create professional videos.
Learning the importance of good audio and how to record it.
Simple and effective video lighting setups.
Basic and creative video composition.
Mastering video techniques like tilting, panning, zooming and shooting hand-held.
Learning to manage and organise your files to make editing easier.
Introduction to video editing.
Colour and tone.
Creating your own video for our class project.
Constructive feedback on your project.
Who is this course for?
- This is a basic to intermediate video course, designed for people who have little or no experience with video.
- Seven weeks part-time course, comprising seven evening classes and one full day practical session.
- We expect that attendees already understand the fundamental aspects of photography and their cameras, such as controlling aperture, shutter speed, ISO, white balance, metering, focusing, etc. If you do not yet understand the basics, we recommend that you take a look at our Basic to Intermediate Photography Courses.
- You will need a digital camera (preferably a DSLR or Mirrorless camera) with video capabilities and a tripod. We will be able to provide loan-bodies and tripods during class time. Please contact the office to confirm availability.
- If you are in the process of buying a camera, we strongly recommend that you read the following article, Camera Equipment, A Buyer’s Mini-Guide. If, after reading the article, you are still not sure, we recommend that you contact us on 079 520-4436 (Office hours). We will gladly assist.
- You will need a computer or laptop to edit your class project.
- We recommend that you download the free version of DaVinci Resolve, which we will use to create your class project. Please take note that we will cover other video software like Adobe Premiere in other courses, but we strongly recommend that you start with free and capable video editing software like DaVinci Resolve. However, if you are already using any other software it will be fine.
- If you are in the process of buying a computer or laptop, we strongly recommend that you read the following article, The Best Computer for Photo Editing. Feel free to contact our office if you need any assistance.
- R5 900 per person.
To register for the course, you have to complete the online registration on DPC's Website by following the link below: